Saturday, October 11, 2008

Three posts in one day I know, right?

Ok, so the photo below was taken yesterday. The post below the pic lists my immediate post-surgical experience. But what about the personal part of that? Well, here goes.

I am not going to lie. It's hard. I am trying to keep a very positive outlook, but I can't read to my daughter or talk with her which is hard. My husband has been a huge help, but my house looks like a war zone. Picking up is not really his strong point.

From a pain standpoint, I only really hurt in the morning and at the end of the day. I blame most of this on the rubberbands that are pulling my jaw over to the side. I am hoping that next week I will be put on lighter rubberbands. The pain is minimal and the numbness is the real irritating thing. It is not so much numbness as it is tingling. I have feeling in my lip already though which the Dr. is amazed by this considering how much he had to move my nerve around in order not to damage it.

I do have several moments of self pity a day and I have found that the one thing that cures this is watching Eight is Enough. This makes no sense, I know, but it seems to work. I watched it a lot while I was still taking the vicodin so I think it has some kind of hypnotic narcotic association.

On an even more personal note, I had an almost real bowel movement today. I have not had gas or had to poo (amazing for a vegetarian) hardly at all since the surgery. I am guessing this is normal. I don't feel stopped up or anything so I am just going to "go" with it.

Lastly, there is the issue of the diet. I am thin and I lose weight quickly. The Dr. wants me to loose no more than 7 or 8 pounds. This is going to be hard because I am one of those skinny people who can eat a lot and not gain weight. I put on a few pounds before the surgery, but then lost a few of those from anxiety (unecessary anxiety btw). So far I have lost about 6 pounds or so since the surgery and about 10 fro the weight that I put on. I am now about 1.5 less than my typical weight.

This is what I eat:

Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with Very Vanilla Soy Milk
Vitamin Water
Gatorade
V8 Fruit Fusions
Chicken cup-a-soup (this is not vegetarian I know, and I don't plan to continue it once my diet is changed).
Also, REALLY WATERY instant mashed potatoes can help you feel full

I am trying not to have too many empty calories (like Gatorade) and consume more instant breakfast and V8 than anything else. I am not really into blending foods up to a consistency that is not their normal state. I tried it with baked beans and it was grodie. I do plan to have a huge Chipotle burrito as soon as the Dr. gives me the OK.

I am a bit concerned about letting the orthodontist get back in my mouth, but I am sure as I heal, that fear will pass.

That's all for now!

No comments: